Monday, December 2, 2019


The first advent.

I had been thinking about an advent calendar for my daughter for so long since she was born, 
but hadn't done anything so far. 
When she was a toddler, 
I just didn't think it would be such a good idea 
because she would not even grasp the idea of it. 
Plus, giving her a calendar of tiny chocolates or
 candy wasn't my favourite idea 
since she would eat a lot of sweet things around this time of the year 
(or any day of the year, to be honest). 

I want to make a calendar myself, 
but I just don't have a suitable idea what to put in it
 (again, she would get a lot of toys on Christmas, 
so giving more stuff in advance is not something I am eager on...). 
My point of having an advent calendar is to get excited about Christmas
 and to get to know the meaning and/or cultural backgrounds of it,
  not just some small candy or toy to grab in the morning.

So I decided to get a book of paper tree. 
Each day, she can open a window and 
take out a paper ornament to hang on the tree. 
There is a booklet about Christmas we can read every day as well. 
It's probably too religious for some people,
but I love it. 
In the end, 
my daughter can know she created a beautiful Christmas tree by putting a big star on the top of the tree!
 (oh, and we can reuse it for next year)

I also love the idea of wrapping 24 books (or 25 if you prefer) and read one together each day. 
I might do that in future, but not this year, 
because we have been reading Christmassy books a lot already
 and it won't be a surprise for her.
Well, I can keep talking about more ideas,
 but I'll leave it for now.

2 comments:

  1. Aww... super creative and sweet!! Love this white paper tree. Great idea :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. paprica-san, hello!
      Sorry to write in English. Yeah, I love this kind of simple doings.
      I actually looked for a simple old-styled paper advent calendar, you know just a picture one (like "no chocolate inside" one we used to have), but it was hard to find nowadays!!

      Delete

Thank you for your message!
コメント、どうもありがとうございます!